What is a Gas Interlock?
The GICS5920 gas interlock panel controller from UCI manages the safe operation of the gas supply to appliances. The unit will protect the working area from dangerous gas build-up and isolates it should the commercial kitchen ventilation system under the extraction canopy not operating within the predetermined levels.
Gas interlock system current sensor is the new way of monitoring fans as they are more durable and unlike air pressure sensors that are likely to get blocked.
You may be wondering what are the gas interlock system installation costs? typically if fitted on a new installation the costs will be negligible and even when extensions or replacement canopy systems are required, they usually are should be fitted for £250.00 making outlay costs minimal.
The GICS5920 fully meets the requirements of BS 6173. Installation and usage are made simple, so as not to overcomplicate things. The cost of ownership is low compared to similar systems manufactured on the market.
You can purchase commercial canopy fans from us here, sizes 250 to 600mm. Our fan speed controllers, click here to find more information.
“It is important to make sure all natural and mechanical ventilation systems are working effectively. The installer should have fitted the appropriate interlocking system between any mechanical ventilation system and the operation of gas appliances so that failure of the system causes the gas supply to them to be shut off. Installation of manual bypasses to such interlock
systems is not permitted.”
When should a Gas Interlock system be used
- If a power-operated flue system for gas is fitted in your commercial kitchen, the British regulation BS6173 states that you should install a safety lock system.
- This is a requirement if a new ventilation or extraction system is fitted.
- New gas-line pipework or kitchen layout is installed.
- Any category B appliance such as combi-oven, grills, griddles and fryers. This should also be fitted to existing layouts should there not be one present.
More information on our Gas interlock system can be found here.
- PRESSURE & CURRENT monitoring in one unit.
- Digital display of error.
- Gas ON/OFF indication.
- Audible signal of ventilation system failure.
- Manual reset button.
- Integral current sensing or air pressure sensing via pressure switch.
- Additional inputs for remote stop button, Co2 sensor and fire alarm shut off.
- Easy to clean, waterproof front.
- 12 month parts warranty.
For more information about ventilation in catering kitchens, click here.