Thermocouples, PT100 and thermistors are used where the measurement of a process temperature is required. In general PT100 and PT1000 are more accurate over larger temperature spans and thermocouples are generally more cost effective.
We offer many sizes from stock, if not stock we can supply them in days if required.
Thermocouples are made from two dissimilar conductors connected together, hot junction and cold junction that measures the thermo-electromotive force (EMF)
- Simple build construction
- Inexpensive compared to PT100/RTD sensors
- No power supply required, produces its own millivolt signal
- Sturdy construction and adaptable to suit applications
- Wide measuring range
- Non-linear over range
- Reference junction point required
- Long term drift
- EMF low in some cases
- Lower sensitivity
RTD/PT100 (Resistance Temperature Detectors)
PT100 are connected to temperature controllers or transmitters with 2 or 3 wires options, this reduces the error from the leads themselves and offer a higher accuracy.
- More accurate than thermocouples
- More linear than thermocouples
- Power supply required
- Higher costs than thermocouples
- Low resistance value
- Self heating
|Probe style||Bayonet style||Washer style|
|Thick washer style||Assembly head style||Leaf style|
The most common thermocouples are K and J. Common PT100 probes both 2 and 3 wire designs.